Home-Sickness(Disclaimer: Homesickness is a real disorder. I am not addressing the medical or psychological issues that can occur with this nor am I giving any medical/nursing advice. The following information is for entertainment purpose only. If you are experiencing medical or psychological issues related to homesickness; I would recommend that you consult with a physician.)
Experiencing a longing for one’s home during a period of absence from it.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Homesickness is generally caused by an absence of familiar surroundings, familiar objects and people.
There have been no studies on the rate of incidence of homesickness among travel nurses; however it is observed quite frequently among Travel Nurses.
Risk Factors for homesickness (related to travel nurses) may include:
- Difficulty adjusting to the temporary job.
- Lack of sleep.
- Poor diet.
- Conflicts with co-workers or Managers.
- Infrequent contact with family/friends.
- Lack of local connections.
- Missing an important event at home.
The primary symptom of homesickness is depression.
Other symptoms may include:
- Decreased job satisfaction
- Short tempered attitude.
- Increased anxiety.
- Giving up.
- Increased withdraw.
Signs and tests
There are currently no definitive tests available for diagnosis of homesickness.
There is currently no known cure for homesickness. It can be a progressive condition if left un-diagnosed and untreated. The best treatment is to manage symptoms.
There are no current known support groups for people suffering from homesickness.
The Treatment Plan for Homesickness has some useful tips in providing you the tools that you need to combat this disorder.
I would encourage you to post comments. Tell me what you want to hear about, what you enjoyed, or how you combat some of the issues discussed. You may also connect with me via Twitter or Facebook and together we can work on decreasing the symptoms together.
Latest posts by TheGypsyNurse (see all)
- Gypsy In Vegas 2015: A Recap - October 13, 2015
- Scrubs Review: The Beyond Scrubs Line - August 21, 2015
- California RN License Delay: Updated Info August 2015 - August 1, 2015
- New Requirements for the Travel Nurse - July 18, 2015
- 10 Things you Need to Know if You Date a Travel Nurse - July 13, 2015