Definition of – Hyper (prefix)
1: above : beyond : super-
2 a: excessively <hypersensitive> b: excessive <hyperemia>
>Definition of – TRAVEL (verb)
2 a (1): to move or undergo transmission from one place to another
Definition of –OSIS (suffix)
1 a: action : process : condition <hypnosis>
Hypertravelosis is a condition in which a person travels excessively and unpredictably. Those with hypertravelosis appear to have overactive need and desire to travel. The uncontrollable need to travel can lead to significant life changes, both physical and emotional as well as having major effects on the career.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Traveling helps most people by reducing stress. In most cases, it is perfectly natural. People travel more during summer breaks, holidays, special events and for family functions.
However, excessive travel occurs without reason. Those with hypertravelosis appear to have overactive need and desire to travel. The uncontrollable need to travel can lead to significant life changes, both physical and emotional as well as having major effects on the career.
There have been no studies on the rate of incidence of hypertravelosis, however it is observed quite frequently among Travel Nurses.
Risk Factors for hypertravelosis may include:
- Working in the nursing field longer than 2 years.
- Frequent Mandatory Overtime.
- Conflicts with co-workers or Managers.
- Empty Nest Syndrome
- Job Dissatisfaction.
- Limited time off work.
- Working in a high-stress environment (Nursing)
The primary symptom of hypertravelosis is traveling.
Other symptoms may include:
- Frequent dreams of far-away places.
- Starting sentences with “I would love to go to…” or “I wish I could…”
- Purchase of multiple travel guides or Visitor guides.
- Thoughts of changing nursing field.
- Desire to check off the 1000 places to see before you die.
- Frequent job changes.
- A feeling of dread prior to going to work.
- Drama in the workplace.
Signs and tests
There are currently no definitive tests available for diagnosis of hypertravelosis.
There is currently no known cure for hypertravelosis. It’s a progressive condition which only worsens with time. The best treatment is to manage symptoms by feeding the condition by changing careers and becoming a Travel Nurse. You can learn how to treat hypertravelosis by following my step by step Treatment Plan.
There are multiple support groups for people suffering from hypertravelosis. Check the Outpatient Tab for links.
I would encourage you to post comments. Tell me what you want to hear about, what you enjoyed, or how you combat some of the issues discussed. You may also connect with me via Twitter or Facebook and together we can work on decreasing the symptoms together.
Latest posts by TheGypsyNurse (see all)
- Looking for Fashionable Compression Socks? - July 1, 2015
- Best and Worst 2015 July 4th - June 28, 2015
- Finding the Right Nursing Shoe: Shoebuy sample product review - June 16, 2015
- Yuma Regional Medical Center - June 15, 2015
- CA License Delays: Continues to be a hurdle for Travel Nurses - June 12, 2015