Matt Bukirin, a NASM certified trainer wrote a recent post titled “Four Ways Nurses Can Overcome Health and Fitness Challenges” for nursetalksite.com.
As a nurse that finds it difficult to stay involved in a fitness routine, I found Matt’s article inspiring. With Matt’s permission, I have posted parts of the article below.
[quote author=”- Matt Bukirin”]Nurses have one of the most difficult jobs in our country. Working several hours a day to take care of our ill requires a mental and physical strength that is both inspirational and world-changing. However, sometimes this work can be so difficult that it becomes a challenge to maintain personal health and fitness.[/quote]
Matt addresses 4 common complaints in his article. I’ve summarized them here, but I encourage you to read the original article.
Matt states that by re-framing exercise and fitness as a real priority in your life, you will make time instead of trying to find time
- Make it a habit to exercise
- Prioritize fitness.
Spending energy in your workout helps give you more energy.
Difficulty getting back to a regular exercise routine
- Use your patients as inspiration.
Matt makes a good point when he states, I’m sure you must have seen numerous examples of individuals overcoming physical challenges and their fear of the unfamiliar. Use this motivation and a reminder that you too can do the same.
Buy a healthy snack like trail mix or nuts.
Make a protein shake or green smoothie.
[message_box]Matt Bukirin is a NASM certified trainer and member of Movemo, a health and fitness company that teaches and empowers those who move our world forward to live healthier so that they can increase the positive change they make in the world. He also writes health and fitness articles for nursetalksite.com[/message_box]
Latest posts by TheGypsyNurse (see all)
- Introducing ~ Lux Travel Nurse – A Nurse Owned Company - March 19, 2015
- Spring Fling 2015, A Travel Medical Professional Event – Recap - March 19, 2015
- Best Staffing Agency – Who Really are the ‘Top 10′ Staffing Agencies ? - March 3, 2015
- The Interspersing of Nursing: A Geographical Look at the Demand for Nurses - February 27, 2015
- Breaking the Contract: The Effect on the Agency - February 26, 2015